What better way to ring in the New Year than with a marathon of your favorite Japanese romance movies? If you’re looking for some inspiration, we’ve got you covered with 20 great titles to choose from. From heartwarming tales of first love to bittersweet stories of long-lost loves reunited, these movies are sure to satisfy your romantic cravings. So grab some popcorn and get ready to curl up on the couch for a cozy night in front of the TV!
What is a Japanese Romance Movie?
A Japanese romance movie is a movie genre that typically involves the development of a romantic relationship between two people. Often, these movies have a happy ending, but there are also some that end tragically.
Some popular Japanese romance movies include “Your Name” (2016), “Your Lie in April” (2014), and “A Silent Voice” (2016).
If you’re looking for a good Japanese romance movie to watch, we recommend “Your Name”, “Your Lie in April”, or “A Silent Voice”!
Top 20 Japanese Romance Movies of 2022
20. A Silent Voice
Director: Naoko Yamada
Cast: Miyu Irino, Saori Hayami, Aoi Yūki
Genre: Drama, Romance
A Silent Voice is a 2016 Japanese animated drama film directed by Naoko Yamada and based on the manga series of the same name written and illustrated by Yoshitoki Ōima. The film tells the story of a young man named Shoya Ishida who bullies a deaf girl named Shoko Nishimiya in elementary school. After she transfers away, he regrets his actions and sets out to make amends by finding her years later.
The film was released in Japan on September 17, 2016, and grossed over $4 million at the box office. It received critical acclaim, with particular praise for its animation and handling of delicate subject matter.
How to watch Japanese Romance Movies
Japanese romance movies are some of the most heartwarming and beautiful films you will ever watch. From touching stories of first love to complex tales of long-term relationships, there is a Japanese romance movie out there for everyone.
If you want to watch a Japanese romance movie, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. First, most Japanese films are subtitled rather than dubbed, so you will need to be able to read subtitles to follow the story. Second, Japanese films often have different conventions than Western films when it comes to romance. For example, physical affection is often shown less openly in Japanese films than in American films.
That being said, watching a Japanese romance film can be a truly moving experience. Here are a few of our favorite Japanese romance movies that you should check out:
1. Tokyo Story (東京物語)
Tokyo Story is considered by many to be one of the greatest films ever made, period. This classic film from 1953 follows an aging couple who travel from their rural home to visit their children in Tokyo. While their children are busy with their own lives, the couple begins to feel like they are no longer needed or wanted. Tokyo Story is a poignant and moving examination of family relationships that will stay with you long after the credits roll.
2. Love Letter (恋文)
Love Letter is a 1995 film that tells the story of two friends
Why you should watch Japanese Romance Movies
Japanese romance movies are the perfect way to escape the problems of real life and enter into a world of fantasy and possibilities. These movies often deal with themes of love and loss, making them perfect for a romantic night. Here are five Japanese romance movies that you should add to your watch list:
1. Tokyo Story (1953)
2. Late Spring (1949)
3. Early Summer (1951)
4. An Autumn Afternoon (1962)
5. The Only Son (1936)
List of Best Japanese Romance Films
If you love heartwarming stories and passionate romance, then you’ll enjoy these Japanese films! From touching dramas to light-hearted comedies, there’s something for everyone on this list.
1. Hachiko Monogatari
Based on a true story, this film follows the tragic tale of Hachiko, a loyal Akita dog who waits at the train station every day for his owner to come home. One day, his owner never returns and Hachiko is left waiting for years until he finally passes away himself. This film will make you laugh, cry and appreciate the loyalty of a man’s best friend.
2. Shall We Dance?
A classic romantic comedy, Shall We Dance? follows the story of Shohei Sugiyama (played by Kōji Yakusho), a middle-aged salaryman who takes up ballroom dancing after finding himself feeling unfulfilled with his life. Though he starts just wanting to learn how to dance so he can impress a woman he’s interested in, he quickly falls in love with the sport itself and finds himself transformed by it. This charming film is sure to leave you smiling.
3. 5 Centimeters per Second
One of the most acclaimed Japanese films of recent years, 5 Centimeters per Second tells the story of Takaki Toono (played by Kenichi Matsuyama) and his long-distance relationship with childhood friend Akari Shinohara (played by Rinko
Japanese romance movies (31 shows)
If you’re in the mood for a little romance, why not check out some of the best Japanese movies in the genre? From heartwarming tales to steamy dramas, there’s something for everyone.
Here are 31 great Japanese romance movies to binge-watch:
1. Always Sanchōme no Yūhi
2. Antique Bakery
3. April Story
4. Autumn in my Heart
5. Baby steps
6. Beautiful Life
7. Bokura ga Ita / We Were There
8. Buzzer Beater // (basketball anime) // I know this one isn’t technically a movie but it’s so good!
9. Call Me By Your Name // (movie) // Not technically Japanese but set in Japan and such a good movie!!
10. Cyrano Agency
11. Death Note // (anime) // One of my all-time favorites! If you haven’t seen it yet, you’re missing out!
12. Dekichatta Kekkon / The Accidental Marriage
13. Delicious Proposal / The Temptation of Wife // Korean drama remade in Japan // If you like revenge plots, this one is for you! Deliciously twisty and addictive!
14. Detroit Metal City // (movie) // This is more of a dark comedy but romance does play a part and it’s just such an amazing movie!! Definitely
The 15 Best Japanese Romance Movies
If you’re looking for a good Japanese romance movie to watch, you’ve come to the right place. Here are 15 of the best Japanese romance movies that you can binge-watch.
1. A Walk in the Park
2. The Notebook
3. Lost in Translation
4. In the Mood for Love
5. The End of the Affair
6. Brokeback Mountain
7. Call Me by Your Name
8. The English Patient
11. La La Land
Japanese high school romance movies
1. Japanese high school romance movies are some of the most heartwarming and romantic films out there. From the adorable moments to the heart-wrenching ones, these movies will make you feel all the feels.
2. If you’re looking for a film that will give you all the warmth and fuzzies, then look no further than “Your Name.” This movie is about two high school students who begin communicating with each other via text message and find themselves falling in love without ever meeting in person. It’s a truly beautiful story that will stay with you long after the credits have rolled.
3. For something a little bit more light-hearted, check out “Kimi no Na Wa.” This movie follows a similar premise to “Your Name,” but is a bit more light-hearted and comedic. It’s the perfect film to watch if you need a pick-me-up.
4. And last but not least, we have “I Want to Eat Your Pancreas.” This movie is definitely on the more tear-jerking end of the spectrum, but it’s so worth it. It follows the story of a boy who discovers that his classmate has terminal cancer and decides to help her live out her remaining days to the fullest. Be prepared to ugly cry your way through this one, but it’s completely worth it.